The development of this technology was the result of an animal control agency’s request for a lead free bullet that would provide an extensive wound trauma with minimal pass through energy. Basically, the idea was to burst the bullet into numerous particles at a predetermined depth creating many wounds and a large temporary cavity at or near the central nervous system with proper shot placement. The agency had tried copper matrix frangible projectiles and found the penetration depth and particle size were less than what was required for proper terminal performance.
The bullet is designed to penetrate to a specific depth and to fracture as the internal hydraulic pressure exceeds the hoop strength of the nose design. At the time of fracture, a massive energy spike is released as the particles break away and radiate outward from the initial trajectory path. This energy spike, and resulting temporary cavity, sends a shock wave through the animal’s circulatory and nervous systems, immediately shutting down the functioning parts of these systems.
The Controlled Chaos technology differs from the Controlled Fracturing technology in that the fracturing particles are smaller, the penetration depth of the smaller particles is less, and the initial energy transfer is greater. These features make this an excellent choice for:
- varmint hunting,
- animal culling,
- fur hunting, and
- personal defense.
As with all of Underwood Ammo™ rounds, we utilize flash suppressed powder so that your vision will not be compromised if it becomes necessary to use your firearm in low light.
While taking advantage of our state of the art testing equipment, this high performance ammunition is field tested using popular, real firearms that our customers are most likely to own out in the real world with all the elements you would experience. If for some reason Underwood Ammunition fails to meet performance expectations, we stand by our product 100% and will make sure the customer is satisfied with every purchase.
This ammunition is new production, non-corrosive, in box primed, reloadable brass cases.
- Caliber: 300 AAC Blackout / Whisper*
- Bullet Weight: 115 Grains
- Bullet Style: Controlled Chaos
- Case Type: Brass
- Suppressor Safe óî This projectile is machined from solid bar stock. Expansion only occurs upon impact through hydraulic energy. (They only expand when they hit wet targets) This is not a frangible bullet produced from powdered metal.
* 300 Whisper is a trademark of SSK Industries
- Muzzle Velocity: 2360 fps
- Muzzle Energy: 1422 ft. lbs.
- Penetration Min (in) Base: 20
- Penetration Min (in) Petals:12
- Expansion Min (in) 6
- The Controlled Chaos projectile is designed to work at velocities as high as 4,200 fps and as low as 1,450 fps. This operating range makes the bullet excellent for all barrel lengths, including SBRs (Short Barreled Rifles).